Ladakh Marathon 2026

Where do I even start my Ladakh story? Last year, I was keen on doing Khardung La challenge and had even told a couple of friends to accompany me. But as I didn't have an ultra run of 50 km under 6 hours, and I didn't have the time to do that, settled for a marathon. Finally ended up not going for that also and so my Ladakh marathon dream got pushed to this year!

Ok, let me stick to race specifics here after. The two days leading to the race, I was struggling with a bad cold and runny nose and sneezing, thanks to exposure to the elements at Pangong Lake and Hanle (there will be a separate travelogue on the trip). I took a Montek LC on Saturday evening and a paracetamol at night. These tablets helped me sleep better and for once I woke up only on the alarm chime on race day! Thankfully had set up everything ready on Saturday evening. Morning rituals got completed thanks to tea provided by the hotel and I was all ready at 5 a.m. Had a couple of bread slices. The cab guy came on time and the FMers Deepak, Harry and I were joined by Mahesh and we reached the venue well on time that I could finish my pre-race toilet visit too without issues (DRHM experience comes to mind). There was some Zumba warmup but I stuck to my usual routine of leg swings and hip openers. The race was flagged off at 6 a.m. Consumed my first gel - Fast and Up Mango flavour before crossing the start line.
The TTB FM gang sans Usha!



My only goal was to finish my marathon within 6 hours as I wanted to qualify for Khardung La challenge without having to run another ultra for this purpose. Having seen the route map with elevation profile, knew that the first part was going to be downhill. Decided to take it very conservative. Kept a steady 6-ish pace at the start. HR spiked up initially to 150 due to less warmup but settled down to the low 140s by the 3rd or 4th km. I was not checking my pace and was running on easy effort, talking to other runners that  I crossed/those who crossed me. Met the "back runner" at around 2nd km, he was running full marathon facing the start line! Crossed Usha around 2nd km and hi'd her, she was focused on her music. Met a barefoot runner who probably was of my age or a couple years senior. He has been doing barefoot runs since 2023 and has done Ladakh Marathon once apparently. Anyway, my focus was on keeping it easy and so consciously held myself back during the extreme descents. Finished 5k in a tad less than 30 mins. The plan was to have gels every 7 km. So after 7 km (41:51), started run-walking to take my gel. This time, the gel was a Fast and Up Chocolate Bourbon flavour. I had my handy water bottle with me and I had finished half of it. At the aid station after 6 km, took one cup full of electrolytes mixed water.


Resumed the steady pace after the 7th km. By now, the full descent part was done and there was a sort of rolling route - short elevations followed by short descents. I was thinking I may finish 10k in 1 hour (though it was not a goal). By the time I finished 10k, it was nearly 1 hour and 1 minute. Took a short walk break here to text my "family" that I had finished 10k in 61 minutes. resumed my running and for the same effort (/HR), the pace was settling at 6:15ish. I didn't bother about the pace and tried to keep HR below 150. By the time 14k was done, it was nearly 1 hour and 26 minutes. My water bottle got empty somewhere around this time. Refilled with 300 mL electrol water this time after drinking a glass of water from the cups. Took my 3nd gel after 14km as planned, this time it was Fast and Up Strawberry+Banana flavor. 


After a short walk break in the 15th km for the gel, resumed running and there was a mild ascent in this phase. For the same effort, the pace kept fluctuating between 6:20 and 6:50. Around the 20th km, there was a good downhill and I could catch up some pace there and finish 20 km in 2 hours and 5 mins. Decided to finish HM before updating my family/team. Finished HM by 2 hours and 12 min. Took a long walk break at this phase, first to text people that I had finished my HM and also to take my 4th gel - this time Mixed Berry flavor. The pace in the 22nd km was 9 min/km. In hindsight, I probably should not have taken it that easy when I was going strong till then. I was calculating and assuming that a 4:40 finish is possible (2:30 for the second half). At the halfway stage, removed the bandana from the ears and changed it to be a neck warmer (more like neck protector from the harsh sun).

Anyway, resumed running and the next 3 km went cool and I had finished 25k in 2:40. Started feeling a bit tired after this and I felt the urge to walk a bit even though there was no great ascent. Maybe the psychological feel-good factor that I had completed 25k. Whatever, I walked quite a bit in the 25th km. Took some selfies near monasteries and such. By now, I was calculating a 28k by 3 hours, 36k in 4 hours, and a finish by 4:40ish. Too greedy, I guess. Either way, 27k was done by 2:57 roughly and there was an aid station and so I took a longish break for water refill and also gel consumption (before I hit the 28k mark). This time the gel that I took was Chocolate Bourbon again. 28k done in 3:05 mins.

Selfie time!


The mind started calculating the distance left. I was thinking I should be able to complete 8 km in the next hour (7:30 pace) and keep a good buffer of 1 hour for the last 6 km, so that I could finish in 5 hours. But due to the lack of long run training, could not maintain the steady rhythm even for 7 pace after this. The splits for the next 4 k (29 to 32) were in the 8 min per km range. By the time I finished 32.2 km, it was roughly 3:37. I was thinking the next 10k may be possible in another 80 minutes (at a similar 8 pace) and that I could dream of a sub-5 hour finish. Had a walk break after 32.2k to text family and TTBians about my status. There were messages about others' finish (HM) and I was relaxedly walking looking at the messages with no intention to push. After a long 33rd km, went back to 7:30ish pace and finished another 2 km to finish 35k by 4:01. Now the only part pending was the last 7k. Took my last gel - again a Mango flavor. Refilled my water bottle again and started.

Took a pic after 30k to send to family!



Now, the body was getting tired, sun was starting to show its effect. Thought of doing a 800-200 run-walk routine. But by the 36th km, a slight uphill had started. Could not sustain running more than 500 meters and the walk interval was getting longer (and slower). The next 3 to 4 km were a mix of less running and more walking as the sun intensity started getting higher and the elevations were killing, creating pain in all parts of the lower body. It took nearly 38 minutes to finish the next 4 km and at the 39k mark, it was 4:39 nearly. I know 3 km in the next 21 minutes was not happening as I could see the uphill ahead. Thought of taking one small sit-break and continuing but the moment I sat, lots of people came over to advise me to not sit and that I should keep walking. Heeding to all their advice, started walking again. It was 5 hours and 1 minute by the time I finished 41 km. In the 41st km, tried taking a banana in the aid station but I felt like throwing up the moment I put it in my mouth and chewed it - I immediately spat it out. The flavor was new to me, maybe. Anyway, with the finish line in sight, tried to run a bit in the 42nd km. Finally finished the course in 5:13:49 (official timing). My wife and kids were at the finish line. After I crossed the finish line, my wife egged me on to do a few pushups (as we had been doing these all through our Ladakh trip at various tourist spots). So, got down and did 5 pushups and got up strong! Very happy to have finished in time to qualify for next year Khardung La Challenge.

My version of the dab pose


The good thing about this run was that I kept my HR low (average was 139, thanks to all the walk breaks). The oxygen level (lack of) did not seem to impact me much, thankfully. The first HM was done in 2.12 and the next HM took 3 hours! The reason I could not finish earlier was probably because of lack of long run training but I would be the first to admit that I did not try to push at any point during this marathon as the goal was just a sub-6 finish and not any fancy timings. That way, it was a very fulfilling experience, more so when a lot of younger runners supported and egged me on. From my side, I ensured that I did not spoil the environment, (1) by using my handy bottle and (2) by saving my used gel wraps to dispose at the end!



My energy partners


Thanks to all friends and family who supported me this year in this endeavor. Hope Ladakh invites me back next year for KC. Till then, happy running!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big's Backyard Ultra - Oct 4, 2025

Erode Marathon 2025 - Twenty Miler

From Couch to Triathlon in 365 days